GENDER IN OSP
The prerequisites necessary to participate in this course are:
- be medically fit to follow the entire course,
- be an officer of rank from captain to lieutenant-colonel or equivalent civilian personnel,
- master the French or English language,
- be in service or likely to be deployed in a peace support operation or to take part in conflict management processes in Africa.
Objective of the internship:
Build the capacities of participants allowing them to:
- acquire a better knowledge of gender-related concepts in all phases of planning, implementation and evaluation of a Peace Support Operation,
- to understand the impact of conflicts on women and men, and to grasp the opportunities and challenges of equality between women and men in conflict resolution.
- Definition of the Gender approach,
- introduction of the gender concept in peace operations,
- presentation of Security Council resolutions,
- introduction to international commitments and normative framework,
- effects of armed conflict on men and women,
- sexual exploitation and abuse,
- gender and humanitarian assistance,
- the gender approach in security sector reform,
- exercises on concrete cases.
General organization of the internship:
- the internship is open to both men and women,
- the costs related to the internship are borne by the partner.
- the internship lasts 01 week.
- start of the course on Monday at 07:30 am: welcome from the director, photo of the class, administrative formalities.
- working hours: Monday to Friday from 07:30 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00.
- end of the course the following Friday at 12 noon at the end of the graduation ceremony.
Each trainee has 20 minutes to briefly present their country, their armed forces (for the military) or the organization to which they belong (for civilians). It is advisable to prepare this presentation before joining Bamako.
Civilian personnel, interested in following the training and who meet the selection criteria, must send their CV along with the registration form to the following address civil firstname.lastname@example.org - by mentioning in the subject line the name of the course. Out of 25 participants, 13 are civilians. Each trainee receives in advance all documents relating to the internship and all important readings to allow the intern to optimize his internship week. It is advisable to prepare and read the documentation before joining the course.