FUNDAMENTAL KNOWLEDGE OF PKOs
The prerequisites necessary to participate in this course are:
- Be medically fit to follow the entire internship;
- Be interested in peace support missions;
- Master the French or English language;
- Be likely to hold a job in a peace support operation in Africa.
Objectives of the Internship:
The Fundamental Knowledge Course on Peace Operations is a course designed to provide basic knowledge to civilian or military personnel who have only limited experience in the area of Peace Operations. This course is based on the basic pre-deployment training modules of the United Nations.
General organization of the internship:
- The internship lasts one week,
- the internship is conducted in French and English,
- the course is open to soldiers, civilians and police of both sexes.
This course is based on the basic pre-deployment training modules of the United Nations (CPTM):
- Introduction to United Nations Peacekeeping,
- establishment and operationalization of Security Council Mandates for Peacekeeping Operations,
- Legal Standards and the role of peacekeeping in protecting human rights, civilians, women and children,
- women, Peace and Security: the role of peacekeeping operations,
- collaborate with Mission Partners,
- Respect for Diversity,
- Deontology and Discipline,
- Risks and Threats,
- HIV / AIDS and the United Nations Peacekeeping Operations.
Practical exercises are organized in order to complete the theoretical knowledge.
Each trainee has 20 minutes to briefly present their country, their armed forces (for the military) or the organization to which they belong (for civilians). It is advisable to prepare this presentation before joining Bamako.
Civilian personnel, interested in following the training and who meet the selection criteria, must send their CV along with the registration form to the following address civil firstname.lastname@example.org - by mentioning in the subject line the name of the course. Out of 25 participants, 13 are civilians. Each trainee receives in advance all documents relating to the internship and all important readings to allow the intern to optimize his internship week. It is advisable to prepare and read the documentation before joining the course.